Become a Mermaid | PADI MermaidA fun way to explore your true passion for mermaiding. - Mornington Peninsula VIC
Become a Mermaid | 1-Day PADI Mermaid Course
An immersive mermaid experience for confident swimmers keen to enhance their mermaid skills and swim safely in a mermaid tail.
A fun way to explore your true passion for mermaiding.
Located in the well-being centre of the Mornington Peninsula, VIC.
Begin a New Booking
*Mermaid monofin hire options appear in the next step.
PADI Mermaid Experience
Begin your transformation into a real-life mermaid! This course is designed for beginner to intermediate water lovers that seek enjoy the freedom and beauty of mermaiding and who wish to swim more freely in a monofin or mermaid tail. Located in the well-being centre of Mornington Peninsula.
You don’t need any previous mermaid experience to enjoy this experience, however you must have good swimming skills to gain the most from the training.
Book your own rental mermaid tail to try on the day for the full authentic experience as well!
If you want to be a mermaid to dive more confidently, learn beautiful diving postures and techniques, and experience gorgeous team moves, the PADI Mermaid Course is the best choice for you to go further.
- Limited to only 6x students for enhanced training and development
- Hire Tails for kids and adults available (fees apply)
- Course includes on-line learning, classroom and pool training
- Ideal for mermaids, snorkellers, skindivers and beginner freedivers
- Achieve your PADI Basic Mermaid certification upon successful completion
- For ages 16 years and above
Ideal for all curious mermaids with experience swimming with a monofin or mermaid tail keen to improve and explore for fun or a career.
Through healthy, supportive and stress-free development in mermaiding, set yourself free from the things holding you back and become happy and confident swimming freely in the sea, and life.
Developing the skills and knowledge within your reach moves you towards PADI Mermaid certifications, available upon successful completion of the training.
Duration & Availability
- PADI Mermaid eLearning before the course experience
- 2+ hour classroom session
- 3 hour instructor led coaching session in the pool
- Weekends all year round
- Ages 16 and up
- Ideal for mermaids that seek to begin the path to expressing their inner mermaid and develop their dreams underwater. Learn in a supportive way without the pressure of performance.
- Requires the ability to swim at least 50m without swim aids / flotation devices submerge and swim under water without panicking
Expect to learn
- Warm up exercises before entering the water
- Putting on your mermaid tail, removal and maintenance
- Weight adjustment, buddy safety skills and equalisation
- Dynamic mermaid swimming and diving skills, combination movements and back swimming
YAWA Aquatic Centre
Rosebud, Mornington Peninsula VIC, Australia
What to bring?
- Bathing suit, 3-5mm wetsuit to stay warm in the pool, weightbelt and weights, mask and snorkel, fins, towel(s), and re-useable water bottle
- Optional: Mermaid Tail / Monofin, Swimming / Synchro Style Nose Clip / Sinus Saver Nose Plugs / Freediving noseclip
- MERMAID MONOFINS AVAILABLE FOR HIRE!
Style of Experience
Dive more confidently, learn beautiful diving postures and techniques, and experience gorgeous team moves on this professional PADI Mermaid Course.
All Guests: $490
Mermaid Monofin Tails for Hire: Adult & Child Sizes available for selection during booking
Bookings close five days before the experience. Book early to secure your place!
Contact us for last minute availability.
Meet Your Instructor
Marlon Quinn – PADI Freedive and Mermaid Instructor Trainer
Let the water flow around you and learn to see within on a specialist retreat led by former IT Executive turned Sea Changer, Freediving Instructor Trainer, RIB Pilot and Dolphin & Seal Tour Host, Marlon Quinn.
He himself was not a natural freediver. Having feinted at the pool from cold as a young child. On another occasion being rushed to hospital unable to breathe, feeling as if suffocating. Being crushed to expiration by wayward teens in a game of stacks-on. Surely not the core foundations to holding one’s breath.
As an adult though, he at last found the sea, only to encounter a stingray head-on and retreat with fright. This was the catalyst though, to learn with the world’s best freedivers, the modern gods of the sea, where he found beauty and peace within himself, on one breath, freediving deep into the blue sea. In 2013 Marlon founded the Melbourne Freedivers Club and since 2014 Marlon has evoked the true passion of the water, providing freediving courses across Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. Going on to develop a multi-award winning dolphin & seal tour RIB charter operator and recognised premiere PADI Freediver and Mermaid Centre.
About the PADI Mermaid Session
Release your inner mermaid and adopt the ocean as your home on this beginner mermaiding course for just six guests.
- Supportive & Stress Free Learning: Develop step by step with your dedicated instructor and reach PADI Mermaid certification without pressure of performance
- Swim like a Dolphin: Find your inner dolphin, enjoy learning and refining mermaiding techniques with tailored coaching and fun skills development
- Breathwork & Balance: Guided breathwork and meditation sessions to develop a new relationship between you and your breath, breathing and breathhold confidence
- Immersion Tools for Every Day: Floating effortlessly, begin to see inside yourself benefited by instructor insights and personalised coaching on breathhold
Ideal for mermaids that seek to begin the path to expressing their inner mermaid and develop their dreams underwater. Learn in a supportive way without the pressure of performance.
- Beginner (eg Basic mermaid/snorkelling experience or up to PADI Skindiver certification)
- Intermediate (eg Basic or Try mermaiding experience up to PADI Basic Mermaid / PADI Basic Mermaid / SSI Try Mermaid certification)
Required Swim Ability
– The ability to swim at least 50m without swim aids / flotation devices
– The ability to back float on the water’s surface at least 5 minutes
– The ability to submerge and swim under water without panicking.
Get ready to set yourself free with WaterMaarq in the beautiful restorative waters of Mornington Peninsula and southern Port Phillip Bay.
An important place of indigenous, colonial history and unique temperate reef waters and protected marine creatures and bird life.
- 1-Day Course Based at YAWA swimming centre
- PADI Mermaid e-learning access for on-line learning before the course
- Breathwork exercises & guided meditation
- Pool breathing techniques & dynamic mermaid session
- PADI Mermaid Certifications
- 6 x Guests Maximum
Part 1 (2.5hrs approx)
- Welcome, Theory Recap & Self-Awareness
- Breathwork & Mermaid Culture
Part 2 (3hrs approx)
- Pool Relaxation & Breathhold Practice and Mermaid Dynamic Skills
- Course Debrief & Closure
What you will need to bring:
Bathing suit, 3-5mm wetsuit to stay warm in the pool, weightbelt and weights, mask and snorkel, fins, towel(s), and re-useable water bottle
Optional: Mermaid Tail / Monofin, Swimming / Synchro Style Nose Clip / Sinus Saver Nose Plugs / Freediving noseclip
During this course, enjoy a calm classroom experience to begin, and then transfer to the pool for technical skills training.
-Theory Session (2-2.5 hrs):
- Learn the knowledge needed for mermaid diving
-Confined Water Sessions (3 hrs):
- Warm-up and stretching before entering the water;
- Equipment preparation, putting on, removal and maintenance;
- Entering and exiting the water;
- Weight adjustment;
- Dolphin kick;
- Mermaid diving skills practice;
- Equalisation skills;
- Safety skills (5 minutes of floating / treading water wearing all mermaid equipment; cramp relief; removal of the mermaid tail in emergency);
- Buddy procedure;
- 3 types of dynamic swimming skills;
- Mermaid exhale descent
- Mermaid new diving skills (360° somersault, team combination movement, mermaid bubble, back swimming on the surface) practice, etc.
This wonderful experience takes place on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Australia. It’s around a 90-minute drive from Melbourne. In modern life the Mornington Peninsula is well known as a centre of well-being, surrounded by the waters of Port Phillip Bay and the Southern Ocean and Bass Strait. An incredible environment it is a destination that favours relaxing activities and immersion in Nature. Renowned for fresh produce farms, marine delicacies and long-established wineries, the Mornington Peninsula provides experiences for the discerning visitor. Historically rich, the region was home to the Boon Wurrung people of the Kulin Nation that may have traversed the shores for more than 40,000 years. First Settled by the British in early 1800s, it is an area now recognised for healthy living and protected wildlife including Australian Fur Seals, Bottlenose Dolphins (Burrunan) and Weedy Seadragons.
PADI Mermaid Certifications
This 1-Day Mermaid Level One Course provides the opportunity for you to develop skills and knowledge within your reach and move towards PADI Mermaid certification, which is available upon successful completion of the course. To satisfactorily enrol in a PADI Mermaid certification course you must be at least 16 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with mermaiding, snorkelling, skin diving or freediving is required.
- Caters to mermaids, snorkellers, skindivers and beginner freedivers
- Minimum age: 16 years
- Learn to swim 50m length in the pool as a mermaid, and float comfortably for 5 minutes
- Successful completion results in world-recognised PADI Mermaid level one freediving certification
Terms & Conditions:
- Session fees are non-refundable (unless the session is cancelled by us for unforeseen circumstances), please choose your experience with care. Trip insurance is highly recommended as cover for unforeseen cancellations
- Courses are held on the Mornington Peninsula and visit Rosebud VIC during the sessions
- Please arrive at the beginning venue 15 minutes before commencement time to ensure you have enough time to check in and get settled
- Please dress comfortably
- Please bring a bag with your swimmers, 5mm wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, weightbelt, a towel and your own re-usable water bottle. Rental equipment is available.
- Guests must be able to swim. Retreats do not cater for people with no swimming ability. The Instructor retains the right to refuse participation in which case your attendance is forfeited
- Guests with back, neck, or heart conditions, those who are pregnant or who have injuries/conditions that may cause a risk to their health are advised not to participate, or do so at their own risk
- A Diver’s Medical Statement and Questionnaire must be submitted to attend the course
- A diving medical (AS4005.1) may be required prior to commencement of the course
- Subject to minimum numbers and may be rescheduled if minimum numbers are not met
- The supplier reserves the right to substitute the venue / pool and / or change the day’s itinerary without notice